This type of bed is often seen as a sign of wealth and Is known as ‘the bed of kings’ and the ‘king of beds’, and its origin dates back to the 16th Century, where they were originally developed for practical reasons. Unlike today, the 16th century didn’t have central heating, so four-poster beds with curtains were used to keep the old out at night, ensuring whoever is in the bed keeps toasty at night!
Four-poster beds are often large, and therefore they suit bigger bedrooms more than anything. Because of this, four-poster beds were usually found in homes with rich people that had big rooms.
But moving onto the 21st century, four-poster beds have had a massive make-over. Unless you are looking for an old 16th-century style, most poster beds are now sleek and sophisticated.
So, other than looking lovely and luxurious, what are the benefits of a four-poster bed:
- Privacy – Four-poster beds are perfect if you have a big family and have the issue of people coming into your room unannounced. They make for the perfect balance of allowing people to come into your room, but keep your bed private, especially if you are in it and asleep!
- Warmth – Four-poster beds were originally made for keeping the warmth in, so if you live in an older house where doors and windows often let cold air through, a four-poster bed could be the perfect solution for winter nights. And when Summer comes around, you can simply take the curtains down and enjoy the cool nights.
- Protection – Four-poster beds are a great way to feel protected, even if you feel safe in your home, there’s something about me wrapped up under the covers surrounded by curtains that makes you feel cocooned from the outside world. These types of beds are also great in the summer when fly’s make their way inside.
- Decorative – A four-poster bed can make an instant statement and is a great way to add personality to a room if you’re struggling with ideas. If you go for an older-looking four-poster bed, they could come with decorative designs that also add some elegance to space.
What makes a four-poster bed so luxurious?
- The size– A four-poster bed is usually bigger than a standard size bed in the UK, but this is often why people are so attracted to them. They have a grand feel about them, which can make the people sleeping in them feel like royalty.
- Timeless Design – This type of bed has been around since the 16th century, and there is a reason they have stood the test of time… they have a classic design. This type of bed comes in an array of classic and elegant shapes and designs. You can even get four-poster beds that come with hand-crafted and engraved markings, like ones you would find back in the day.
- Traditional style – Even if you opt for a more modern four-poster bed, the four posts that come with the bed mean it’s kept its traditional vibe, as this concept for the bed hasn’t changed since its first release.
- Setting the mood – With opulently draped curtains and grand pillars, four-poster beds could be seen as quite romantic and could make the perfect place for you and your partner to get some shut-eye.
Custom size four-poster beds
Bed Guru offer a custom size service, where we can make any bed frame, mattress, or divan a bespoke size. Whether you’re taller than average and need or longer bed, or you have a uniquely sized space, then a custom-sized bed might be for you.
Bed Guru will deliver your custom-sized bed to your home and take your old bed away, hassle free.