Congratulations, you’ve joined the quest for a better sleep and found your way here. You have successfully put down the coffee and freed yourself from the idea that sleeping is merely an afterthought, a secondary concern in an otherwise busy and rather hectic life.
You have realised that a good night’s sleep is not just a one-off treat, but a necessary function guaranteed to benefit your mind, body and overall wellbeing.
By following these few simple #SleepBetter commandments, you’ll be well on your way to a happier, healthier and more focussed you.
Our #SleepBetter Commandments
- Create a regular and well-disciplined sleeping pattern. Going to bed and getting up at around the same time will aid your body’s natural rhythm.
- Limit daytime napping to 45 minutes. As tempting as it is, it will only disturb your sleep later in the day.
- Avoid alcohol before bedtime. While you may fall asleep faster, alcohol will interrupt your sleep later in the night.
- Avoid caffeine before bedtime. This should also include tea, fizzy drinks and sugary snacks.
- Stay clear of heavy or spicy foods before bedtime. If you haven’t eaten, limit yourself to a light snack and enjoy a larger breakfast instead.
- Don’t exercise too close to bedtime. Your body will be too active to fall asleep.
- Be kind to yourself and give yourself the bed you deserve. A tired bed is a tired body.
- Reserve time to wind down. A warm bath and soothing music will help you to relax.
- Eliminate as much light as possible. Yes this includes putting down your smartphone.
- Reserve your bed only for sleep. If you are restless, get up and do something until you feel sleepy enough to head back to the comfort of your mattress.
We want the world to realise just how easy and rewarding it can be to give yourself a better night’s sleep.
That’s where the #SleepBetter campaign comes in.
As part of the campaign we’ve recruited the help of some top bloggers to help us spread our Bed Guru Sleep Better Commandments. They will be sharing their own top sleeping tips as well hosting giveaways for some super helpful #SleepBetter kits so keep your eyes peeled on our Facebook and Twitter!